Tooth Extraction: Cost, Procedure, Risks, and Recovery
Are you suffering from severe toothache, and the doctor advised you to extract your third molar?
If the answer to this question is Yes, then read this article to know about the cost, procedure, risks, and recovery after extraction. This article will also answer the question of how to get painless tooth extraction near me.
Why do you need a tooth extraction?
Although many teenagers and some adults have their wisdom teeth removed, there are different situations which require tooth extraction.
- Grossly carious teeth
- Tooth infection
- Orthodontic procedure
- Patient undergoing radiation therapy
The procedure of tooth extraction
A general dentist can perform a simple tooth extraction. For a surgical extraction, you might have to consult an oral and maxillofacial surgeon. Before advising extraction, the dentist takes the x-ray of your mouth to analyze the condition of the root and adjacent bone. You need to tell your dentist about your past medical and drug history. If you are on bisphosphonate therapy, tell your doctor otherwise you might be at risk of osteonecrosis.
Before performing the tooth extraction, your dentist might want to make sure all medical conditions are under control or manage. The doctor might advise antibiotics before the surgery, if:
- You have an infection or a compromised immune system.
- You have a specific medical condition like heart disease, asthma, or diabetes.
- Procedure is anticipated to take a lengthy time.
The doctor will anesthetize your teeth. In the maxilla, you need infiltration anesthesia. In the extraction of mandibular posterior teeth, you need an inferior alveolar nerve block and mental nerve block.
Instruments used for extraction are forceps and elevators. Different shapes of instruments are available for maxilla and mandibular arch extraction.
Cost for tooth extraction
The cost for tooth extraction depends on tooth condition and type of anesthesia. For impacted tooth removal, you might need general anesthesia, which increases the cost of tooth extraction. The price for simple wisdom tooth extraction ranges between 4k -10 k. for surgical extraction, you might have to pay between 20k -40 k.
What are the risks of a tooth extraction?
Some of the risk and complications of tooth extraction are as follow
- Prolong bleeding
- Fever, cough, and chills
- Orthostatic hypotension
- Shortness of breath
- Infection at a surgical site.
It is necessary for you to consult your dentist if you are facing any complications after extraction.
What are the precautions you must take after extraction?
- The healing and recovery period might range from 7 to 14 days. The recovery period also depends on your overall health. Here are some of the precautions you must take after extraction
- After squeezing the bone, the dentist placed the wet cotton pad. Leave the gauze at the extraction site for one hour and have ice cream from that side after removing the cotton.
- You can get tooth extraction pain relief by taking over-the-counter painkillers.
- Do not spit for the first 24 hours. Spitting can cause clot disintegration, and you might suffer from dry sockets.
- Don’t smoke or use a straw.
- After 24 hours, gargle with warm saline water for better healing.
- For a few days, brush and floss your teeth regularly except extraction site.
For painless tooth extraction at home, you can also consult our expert dentists at Dental Bee.
Dental Bee is a home dental clinic that is known to provide dental treatments at the comfort of your home. The clinic has their own specialized portable van with all their dental equipment’s, necessary for tooth extraction at home. Their services are spread across Delhi- NCR. They have well-experienced doctors who follow strict safety and hygienic protocols for all dental treatments.